St John the Baptist C.E. Church

LATEST NEWS

Village events at a glance



08/08/17

Archives

Chorley Borough Council Logo

Lancashire county council
Lancashire Association of Local Councils

St John the Baptist Anglican Parish Church

Contact:

Rev. D.J. Reynolds - Telephone 01704 822203
Rev. R. Plant - Telephone 01772 815257

Church Wardens:
Clarence Whittle - Telephone 01772 453935
Sheila Williams - Telephone 01772 601016

 for details about services use this LINK

St John the Baptist Church, is the Anglican parish church. It is in the deanery of Chorley, the archdeaconry of Blackburn and the diocese of Blackburn. Its benefice is united with that of St Michael and All Angels, Croston. The church is designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building.

St John's was a Commissioners' church costing £1,058. The Church Building Commission contributed £250 towards its cost. It was designed by the Lancaster architect Edmund Sharpe and built in 1839–40. The land was given by George Arthur Legh Keck. The church provided seating for 400 people. In July 1840 it was consecrated by Rt Revd John Bird Sumner, at that time the Bishop of Chester. The church was restored in 1898 by Sharpe's successors Austin and Paley, who also added a chancel and vestry in 1908–09.

The church is constructed in sandstone with slate roofs. Its plan consists of a five-bay nave incorporating a south porch, and a two-bay chancel under a higher roof. The style of the nave is "simple Gothic", while that of the chancel is Perpendicular. At the west end is a slender tower, the lowest stage of which constitutes a porch that is open on three sides. Above this are three string courses, the top one of which is stepped over the bell opening. At the corners are buttresses that rise to form crocketted pinnacles. At the top of the tower between the pinnacles is a stepped parapet. A slim octagonal spire rises from the tower. The porch has an arched doorway over which is a lancet window. Its top is gabled and has a cross finial. The east window has five lights and Perpendicular tracery. Inside the church is a west gallery supported on four slim iron columns. The two-manual organ was built by Ainscough Organ Builders of Preston in 1929, and rebuilt and extended by David Wells of Liverpool in 2000.